Monday, February 26, 2024

Verb patterns

I like studying verb patterns. - OK.

I like to study verb patterns. - OK, but I prefer the other one (sounds more 'modern'?)


I enjoy studying verb patterns. - OK.

I enjoy to study verb patterns. - NOT OK.


Can we sort this out?

It's a question of the order of the actions.

Verb + to-inf

First action (looks towards) second action.

Verb + gerund

Later action (reflects upon, looks back to) preceding action.

So, you...

remember to do it (in the future)

and

remember doing it (in the past)


But...


then there are other things that complicate things further, like:

  • verb + to--infinitive / -ing form
  • verb + object + (to-) infinitive "tell her to do it"
  • verb + object + -ing form "watch them doing it"
  • verb + that clause "suggest that she does it"


Verb patterns practice


More practice here (Quizlet)


I Will Survive




At first I was afraid, I was petrified

Kept   THINK    I could never live without you by my side

But then I spent so many nights   THINK   how you did me wrong

And I grew strong

And I learned how  GET   along

And so you're back

From outer space

I just walked in   FIND   you here with that sad look upon your face

I should have changed that stupid lock, I should have made you leave your key

If I'd known for just one second you'd be back  BOTHER   me

Go on now, go, walk out the door

Just turn around now

'Cause you're not welcome anymore

Weren't you the one who tried    HURT  me with goodbye?

You think I'd crumble?

You think I'd lay down and die?


Oh no, not I, I will survive

Oh, as long as I know how   LOVE  , I know I'll stay alive

I've got all my life  LIVE

And I've got all my love  GIVE  and I'll survive

I will survive, hey, hey


It took all the strength I had not   FALL   apart

Kept trying hard   MEND   the pieces of my broken heart

And I spent oh-so many nights just   FEEL   sorry for myself

I used   CRY

But now I hold my head up high and you see me

Somebody new

I'm not that chained-up little person still in love with you

And so you felt like    DROP   in and just expect me   BE  free

Well, now I'm saving all my lovin' for someone who's loving me


Oh no, not I, I will survive

Oh, as long as I know how   LOVE  , I know I'll stay alive

I've got all my life  LIVE

And I've got all my love  GIVE  and I'll survive

I will survive, hey, hey

No comments:

Post a Comment