Kong, Fu-Zi (Confucius)
Which person said it?
1. "The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil."
2. "Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever has not kindness has not faith."
3. "The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly."
4. "For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul? "
5. "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
6. “Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.”
7. "The mind is everything. What you think you become."
8. “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.”
9. "Politics have no relation to morals."
10. "An unexamined life is not worth living."
11. "There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide."
1. Hannah Arendt
3. Friederich Nietsche
5. Kong, Fu-Zi (Confucius)6. Immanuel Kant
7. The Buddha
9. Niccolo Machiavelli
11. Albert Camus
Which of these quotes
A) Is concerned directly with ethics?
B) Is concerned indirectly with ethics?
C) Isn't concerned with ethics?
Write A, B or C next to the quote.
In what way could some of these quotes apply to the question technology and ethics?
Discuss the video
Built in prejudices
What technology is being demonstrated?
What does the demonstration show us about that technology?
What have you heard about these concepts from moral philosophy?
The Socratic method
Is moral philosophy worth bothering about?
Where do you get your basic ethics from? Religion? Your culture? Your upbringing? You own reflections? TV?
How would you describe your basic ethical framework?
Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Catholic etc...
Atheist, non religious, rationalist
Do you think there are universal ethics?
Split listening / viewing
Students A and B watch two different updates a few time - make notes on the different stories - then share them in pairs
BBC Tech update
If using a mobile device just google robotic priest BBC and click the top result.
BBC Tech Update 2
Which stories involved questions around moral behavior?
To feel good:
Giving back sight to the blind