Sunday, May 14, 2023

(Game) Whittle down


I'm tired.
"I'm tired".
"I'm really not so tired".
"I'm really not so tired, anymore John"
"I'm really not so tired, anymore John", said frank.
See how long you can make this sentence, adding only two things at a time.


Start with this.
He's deaf.


1
In this game, each student can remove 1, 2, or 3 sequential words. But the sentence must still make sense. The goal is to whittle it down to as few words as possible, ideally only one word.

Jose Saramago, “Blindness.” 97 words. 

“On offering to help the blind man, the man who then stole his car, had not, at that precise moment, had any evil intention, quite the contrary, what he did was nothing more than obey those feelings of generosity and altruism which, as everyone knows, are the two best traits of human nature and to be found in much more hardened criminals than this one, a simple car-thief without any hope of advancing in his profession, exploited by the real owners of this enterprise, for it is they who take advantage of the needs of the poor.”

W.G. Sebald, “The Rings of Saturn.” 107 words.

“All I know is that I stood spellbound in his high-ceilinged studio room, with its north-facing windows in front of the heavy mahogany bureau at which Michael said he no longer worked because the room was so cold, even in midsummer; and that, while we talked of the difficulty of heating old houses, a strange feeling came upon me, as if it were not he who had abandoned that place of work but I, as if the spectacles cases, letters and writing materials that had evidently lain untouched for months in the soft north light had once been my spectacle cases, my letters and my writing materials.”


Try to write the longest sentence you can using only words that start with S and T. Minimum 25 words, but more if possible.

Whittle down the sentence you just wrote.


No comments:

Post a Comment