Monday, February 26, 2024

Answering personal questions












Family 


Write down 5  questions you could ask someone about their family life.


As a whole class, collect the best 10 questions and put them on the board.


Skill - openers, reaction phrases


Before answering a question, try beginning with an opener or reaction phrase like these:

Great question.

This questions is quite a tricky one to answer.

I was wondering if you'd ask me that.

I like this question.

Oh well, I guess...

Well obviously,

Hmmm. Let me think a bit.

Wow! Good question.

Okay, let's see.

This my favourite topic.

Interesting question.

Thanks for asking.

In my case that's a bit complicated.

Oh dear - I was hoping you wouldn't ask that.

I'm glad you asked.

Sorry, but could you repeat that?

It's a long story, but the short answer is...

The simple answer is...

Well as you might already suspect...

How do these openers make the person asking the questions feel?


Now try answering some questions about family and try always beginning with an opener.


Repeat this idea using different personal topics:

Friendship

Childhood

Travel

Leisure time

Relationships

Feelings

School

Hobbies

Before listen, guess what some of the questions were:

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

Daniel Radcliffe Answers the Web's Most Searched Questions

Did Daniel use opener or reaction phrases?


Write down a question you would like someone to ask you (in front of everyone) today.


Example


Why do you look so happy today?


Pass the question to the person next to you. Have them ask you this question in front of the whole class.

Use an opener, and respond in detail to the question.




No comments:

Post a Comment