Tuesday, June 25, 2019

(Student writing) Hand-me-down - by Riko

Do you like hand-me-downs? My answer is no. I really dislike them.

I have a brother. He is 4 years older than I. So when I was a child, my parents usually gave me hand-me-downs from my brother. For example, clothes, ski equipment, bags...

But I especially hated to be given hand-me-down bicycles. However, I have a special memory about it.

When I was 4 years old, I was learning to ride a bicycle. And my first bicycle was of course a hand-me-down from my brother. 
It was blue and was painted with motor vehicles. It looked a bike for boys. I liked red or pink back then, so I was displeased and complained to my parents.

After hearing the story, my grandfather took an action. He repainted the bicycle to red. And my mother made a saddle cover with printed flowers to match his work.

The hand-me-down bicycle turned into the only one in the world, thanks to my family.

To be honest, I don’t remember all this in detail. The thing I remember is feeling deeply satisfied. I have no words to express the pleasure even now. It’s the earliest joyful memory in my life.

As I was growing up, my parents gave me a couple of new bicycles. I liked those bicycles of course, because they were comfortable and stylish. But I’m sure my favourite bicycle will never change.

My grandfather has died now. However, I’ve never forgotten his affection.




No comments:

Post a Comment