Sunday, April 22, 2018

(Student writing C1.3) Kallur - by Boas Andreasen


Having driven for over an hour from Tórshavn, I finally arrived at the port in Klaksvík from whence the small ferry to Kalsoy departs. It was a gloomy and quiet morning and multiple cars were already lined up, ready to get on the ferry. The ferry was quite small, so I was nervous about having arrived too late, but luckily I was one of the last cars to get on.

From there it was a smooth ride over hill and under hill, and soon I had reached the small village of Trøllanes. The name Trøllanes meaning Troll peninsula was given because in the old days people believed that trolls lived in the mountains. It is the village where the road ends, so after parking the car I climbed over a fence and started hiking. Unlike most hiking trails in other countries there are no signs and no path to follow, but after walking for about an hour I reached the deep green valley engulfed by rugged mountains from which you can see the cliff with the iconic red and white lighthouse called Kallur. 

Once I reached the lighthouse I was blown away by the breath-taking view. I had seen multiple pictures online before arriving, but after seeing it with my own eyes I felt a real sense of peace and I was reminded why I still call these islands home. To get a different view of the lighthouse I took this narrow and dangerous path out to the edge of the island and from there all you could see was green islands and a never-ending sea. Despite there being a bit of a breeze, all you could hear was relaxing bird song and bleating sheep, and wherever you looked there were stunning views. I felt like I could stay there forever, but after taking everything in for the last time I took the ride back home feeling awestruck and inspired.


With Teacher corrections: 

These are very minor corrections, but I thought it would be useful for students to see the places where I felt Boas was using slightly the wrong language. Besides that his writing is very accurate and also descriptively alive.
Having driven for over an hour from Tórshavn, I finally arrived at the port in Klaksvík, where the small ferry to Kalsoy departs. It was a gloomy and quiet morning and a multitude of  vehicles were already lined up, ready to get on the ferry. The ferry was quite small, so I was worried I was too late, but luckily I was one of the last cars to get on.
From there it was a smooth ride over the sea, over hill and under hill, and soon I had reached the small village of Trøllanes. The name of Trøllanes was given because in the old days people believed that trolls lived in the mountains of the peninsula. It is the village where the road ends, so after parking the car I climbed over a fence and started hiking. Unlike most hiking trails in other countries there are no signs and no path to follow, but after walking for about an hour I reached the deep green valley engulfed by rugged mountains from which you can see a cliff with the iconic red and white lighthouse known as Kallur. 
Once I reached the lighthouse I was overwhelmed by the breath-taking view. I had seen uncountable pictures online before arriving, but after seeing it with my own eyes I felt a real sense of peace and I was reminded why I still call these islands home. To get a different view of the lighthouse I took narrow and treacherous path out to the edge of the island and from there all you could see was green islands and a never-ending sea. Despite there being a bit of a breeze, all you could hear was relaxing bird song and bleating sheep, and wherever you looked there were stunning views. I felt like I could stay there forever, but after taking everything in for the last time I made the journey back home feeling awestruck and inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment