Sunday, September 29, 2019

(Any level) Sign of the Times


Andres Serrano purchased 200 signs from homeless people in New York City. The collection tells the story of poverty in America and the world.

Watch video:

Sign of the Times


Verb forms - chose the best one - or both, if both are possible....

Sign of the Times was conceived in early October when I started seeing / to see what I perceived as a greater number of homeless people in New York City. As a native New Yorker, it surprised me because I had / have never seen so many people beg / begging and sleep / sleeping on the streets. It occurred to me to start buying / to buy the signs that the homeless use to ask for money.

I immersed myself in the project, going out almost on a daily basis and walking five, six, seven hours a day. Once, I even walked 12 hours around the city – uptown to Harlem, East and West, downtown to Battery Park and back home to the East Village. I never took transportation anywhere because I felt that since the homeless live on the streets, I had to walk the streets like they do. After a while, a few said me / to me, "I've heard of you. You're the guy going around to buy / buying signs. I was wondering if you were ever going to find me." I bought about 200 signs and usually offered $20 which they were happy, even ecstatic, to get / getting. (Once, though, I saw a sign that said, "Just need $10". So I said to the guy, "I'll give you $10 for it" and he said, "You got it. I guess the sign did its job!")

What struck me about the people who sold me their signs was their willingness to let go /  going of them. It was as if they had little attachment to them even though some signs had been with them for a long time. Of course, they needed the money. Many people would tell me they made / had made nothing that day. But I also think that those who possess little have less attachment to material things. They know what it's like to live with less.

I had a certain way of approaching people. Whenever I saw anyone sit / sitting on the street with a sign I wanted, I would crouch down, but not sit down. To sit down next to them would be like to sit / sitting on their couch without to ask / asking permission. But by crouching down, I could look them in the eye and be / being on the same level. Then I would say, "Can I ask you a question?"

They always said yes and I'd say, "I'm an artist. And artists see things in a different way. And one of the things I see are the signs the homeless have / has. I'm buying these signs because I see /  am seeing every sign as a story. There are many stories out here that should be heard. Can I offer / to offer you $20 for your sign?" They would all say yes, and it was touching / touched me how grateful many people were when I bought their sign. I had got / got several hugs and many a "God bless you."

I bought signs from people of all ages, including some who were my age. I remember to buy /  buying a sign from a man in his 60s who was sitting / sat outside the McDonald's around 10pm. He looked at me as if I was an angel from heaven. He had pennies in his cup and couldn't believe I wanted / had wanted to give him $20 for his sign. He said, "Now, I can get a bed and a meal."

The youngest person I bought a sign from was probably 16. I forgot asking / to ask her age, but she could have been even younger. Her sign read:


Mom had told / told us to wait right here. That was 10 years ago.

Read more and check here:

Andres Serrano

1 comment:

  1. I constantly emailed this site post page to all my friends, because if prefer to read it then my all friends will too. ReMARKable dry erase board

    ReplyDelete